Saturday, September 1, 2012

How to Build a Celtic Travel Shelter...

This is not a hard build if you live near or have friends near a forest with some sort of ceder trees... First find a tree with a Y shape just a bit above head height.  Find 5 of the sturdiest looking ceder or evergreen bows and place in a circle with the tops crisis-crossing through the Y and the bottom spread out (think like a tepee) at least large enough for you to lay down in.  Weave thinner greenery covered bows through the 5 up and down bows, leaving an entrance opening fasting east if possible.   Continue waving up and down and back and forth till very little light comes through accept at the entrance.  If done correctly, this should stand about 2 to 3 years.

I built my first Celtic Travel Shelter on my Grandma's 13 acres when I was 17 after an ice storm in Poteau, OK, it stood until another ice storm 3 years later and was a favorite hiding place for Grandma's cats when I wasn't around.   I have continued to build these as needed, and next time will bring my camera and share photos as the previous builds I never thought to photograph.  They are great for getting out of the rain...one of the reasons the cats adored it!

~ Morria

No comments:

Post a Comment